Answer each of these questions in a short essay, and find an appropriate image where asked:
- If you could choose one image that expresses your personality, what would it be? Explain how it is connected to you. Be sure to include the image in your portfolio folder with your explanation.
- Find an image online from a news event and include it in your portfolio. Find out as much as you can about the image, and then interrogate it as a media text using the five questions from the media literacy handout:
- Who created this message?
- What creative techniques are used to attract my attention?
- How might other people understand this message differently from me?
- What lifestyles, values and points of view are represented in or left out of this message?
- Why is this message being sent?
- Examine Figure 1, a print ad for the Kia Soul. At least two Gestalt principles are at work in this ad. Name two and describe how they apply to this image.
- Find an example of a corporate logo or other artwork that is not a photo that you believe makes strong use of Gestalt principles. Describe how those principles are used. Are they effective?