TOP: The silent film Metropolis (1927) in a sense wrote the code for later futuristic cities. BOTTOM: Coruscant from the Star Wars series reflects the idea of the city of the future from Metropolis.
The subconscious mind
- Freud identified two process at work in the subconscious:
- Kristeva added a third process, “the passage from one sign system to another.”
- In this process she saw the destruction of an old system and the forming of a new one.
- Another way to think of it is as a “redistribution” of several different sign systems.
- In intertextuality, a variety of diverse meanings overlap.
- One or more sign systems are transposed into another or into a “field” of transpositions of many signifying systems.