A comparison of scenes from Apple’s 1984 commercial and Metropolis (1927)
Genres as intertextual codes
- Formal frames affect how we view and interpret a media text.
- A television programme could be part of a series and part of a genre, such as sitcom or police procedural.
- Our understanding of any individual text relates to such framings. Texts provide contexts within which other texts may be created and interpreted.
- Texts draw upon multiple codes from wider contexts, textual and social.
- The assignment of a text to a genre provides the interpreter of the text with a key intertextual framework.