The third meaning
- Two or more images presented together create a tertium quid a third meaning that is different from the meaning of any single image.
- Here are two pairs of three images from the end of the Odessa Steps sequence of Eisenstein’s Battleship Potemkin (1925).
- The still shots of stone cherubs, when placed together, give the impression of throwing a punch.
- In the same way, the three stone lions seem to come to life when juxtaposed in a montage.
- The third effect is even more striking when viewed rapidly on film.