Carlsberg, the original horse-breeding brewery
From Carlsberg has always been associated with horses on Carlsberg’s website (Denmark)
From the first carting out of wooden barrels, the horses were a mixture of various breeds: Frederiksborger horses, crossbreeds of Jutland and Belgian horses, and other light and heavy breeds. All in all, a varied collection, and so it continued until 1928, when Carlsberg had more than 200 Jutland horses, commonly known as “brewery horses.”
The Federation of Jutland Horse Breeders Associations provided the initiative for Carlsberg switching to sole use of Jutland horses. In 1936, the last non-Jutland — a Hannover gelding — left the brewery, but at the same time motorisation was becoming more and more widespread until, at the end of the 1930s, there were just 160 horses in use.
However, the shortage of petrol during and immediately after World War 2 forced a return to horsepower and the number of horses increased again to more than 200. When both cars and petrol became available again, the number of Jutland horses fell drastically, and although “brewery horses” were still used to deliver beer, by the middle of the 1970s there were just 35 horses remaining.
Carlsberg’s new stables were completed in the late summer of 1992. The residents — both two-legged and four-legged — moved into the new premises, thus starting a new chapter in the brewery’s long association with horses.
Today, Carlsberg’s horses are used solely as “ambassadors”: at festivals and fairs, on special occasions for customers, and as a subject for the world’s photographers.
Futhermore, Carlsberg Stables highly value the friendly relations with the Royal Stables and the Riding Police in Copenhagen.