In the 1930s, much of rural America lacked electricity and running water. In 1937, the Rural Electrification Administration hired graphic designer Lester Beall to create posters illustrating the benefits of electrification. The originals are in the Lester Beall Archive at the Rochester Institute of Technology.
- The computers in OEC 312 and OEC LL13 (the media lab) have everything you need to complete your class projects.
- The labs will be available to you during the week when other classes are not in session. Do not interrupt another class to work on your projects!
- In general, OEC LL13 has more open time than does OEC 312. If you store your projects on a flash drive or on OneDrive, you can work in either place.
- You will be set up with Public Safety to have card access to OEC LL13 from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. seven days a week.
- For this class, we will use Adobe Illustrator for creating graphics and Adobe InDesign for document construction.
- OEC 312 and OEC LL13 are equipped with the Adobe Creative Suite that includes Illustrator and InDesign.
- We prefer that you use the lab computers to complete your class projects to ensure compatibility with the instructor’s computer.
- The official channel of communication for this class is the University of St. Thomas email system.
- If you are attending this class from another ACTC school, you still must set up your St. Thomas email account with IRT, in the lower level of the library.
- I will not try to keep a list of alternate mail systems such as gmail. If you want to use an alternate system, find out how to forward St. Thomas mail to it and make sure it works.
Turning in your projects
To save you money and time, you will not print out your projects. To turn in an assignment:
- Create a folder in your OneDrive and share it with me. My email address is email@example.com.
- Name your OneDrive folder like this: 256-yourlastname
- Note that this name uses a hypen and NO SPACES.
- When you have a project completed, place the original file AND all images used in your shared OneDrive folder.
- You MUST name your files correctly:
Using your own computer
We prefer that you use the lab computers to complete your projects, for three reasons:
- Any version of the Adobe Creative Suite you install on your computer will not be compatible with the lab computers or with the instructor’s computer.
- The interface is substantially different from version to version.
- Your computer will not have the range of fonts available on the lab computers.
If you decide you must use your own computer, be aware of these issues and expect some difficulty in completing the assignments.