SPIEKERMANN, Erik and E.M. Ginger: Stop Stealing Sheep & Find Out How Type Works (3rd Edition). Mountain View, Calif: Adobe Press, 1993.
TEST 1: March 1, 2017
- Spiekermann, Chapters 1-3, 5-6.
- Lecture notes: What is design?
- Lecture notes: Logos and Sig Cuts.
- Lecture notes: The basics of composition.
- Lecture notes: Type Personality.
- Lecture notes: Type History and Technology
TEST 2: March 29, 2017
- Lecture notes: Establishing Type Hierarchy.
- Spiekermann, Chapters 4, 8-9.
- Lecture notes: Measuring and fitting type.
- Lecture notes: Book construction.
TEST 3: April 19, 2017
- Spiekermann, Chapters 7, 10.
- Lecture: Page Proportions.
- Lecture: Page grids.
- Lecture: Page architecture.
TEST 4: May 3, 2017
FINAL: Due May 17, 2017
You will receive a comprehensive take-home final, your last opportunity to improve your test grade. It will be due by 3:30 p.m. Wednesday, May 17.