- Download the exercise files.
- Watch the video.
- Open the template or a blank file in Illustrator if needed.
- Duplicate the actions taken in the video.
- Lesson 1: The interface and basic tools. How to open an page; selection and direct selection tools; stroke and fill.
- Lesson 2: Rectangle and ellipse tools Tools for drawing basic shapes; compound paths; arranging layers.
- Lesson 3: Introducing the pen tool Drawing point to point; getting started with bezier curves.
- Lesson 4: Drawing bezier curves Practice with bezier curves on two downloadable templates: pen_tool_01.ait and pen_tool_02.ait.
- Lesson 5: Tracing a shape from a photo Selecting a good photo for a template; using the pen tool to trace the shape; layering the composition.
- Lesson 6: Manipulating text Introduction to the text tool; the character palette; fill and stroke with text; creating outlines. Download the template text_01.ait template).
- Lesson 7: Setting up type in columns Create a multicolumned text box; format type and record the format as a paragraph stylesheet.
Download the templates and other files used in the videos as a compressed archive. You will need a utility that will unzip the files, such as Stuffit Expander.