With type as with philosophy, music and food, it is better to have a little of the best than to be swamped with the derivative, the careless, the routine.
— Robert Bringhurst
The Elements of Typographic Style
Project 4: CD Jewel-Case booklet
Your task will be to create a four-page CD jewel-case booklet for the electronic-rock album Levels by the artist Polypeptide, based in Minneapolis.
You’ll have these resources:
- An InDesign CD template with color separation targets.
- Three pictures to choose from (right).
- A text file of song titles, band members, production crew and other provenance.
- An Illustrator file with the logo for Pug Records.
- A front cover for the jewel case that expresses the personality of the music.
- A back cover for the jewel case that lists the songs, band members, other credits and provenance, such as copyright and production information.
- A two-page inside spread of liner notes.
- You can use all the options available in PhotoShop and Illustrator to prepare your artwork. The Pug label can be made any color to match your color palette.
- Make sure you use a copy of the photos, not originals, if you decide to manipulate them with PhotoShop.
- You need a white rectangle on the back cover for the bar code. It must be 7p6 by 3p9.
- Bleed your photos or other artwork you create.
- Get a CD jewel case, or better yet, several and study how things are done.
- Choose your color palette carefully.
- Choose your typography carefully. You need a highly expressive typeface for the album title and band name (think of these as sigcuts) and a readable typeface for the song titles and other necessary text on the back cover.
Listen to the music (MP3 files)
- Perfect 2:35
- Rarity 2:11
- Sonya 2:52
- Peppers, 125
- Leonardo DiCaprio 3:28
- John Madden (Instrumental) 1:58
- 251256 2:20
- Phantom of Inferno 2:02
- Work It Out Instrumental 2:08
- Kawaii Uguu, featuring Tiqui Fardington 1:51
- Today in Theory 2:07
- Levels 1:37
- The Return of Boots and Cats (Instrumental) 2:30
- Ideas and Variations 2:41
- Wink 2:15