Chapter 7: Color and images
Mount Ararat towers over the city of Yerevan, Armenia. Printing a color picture in a newpaper or magazine is an expensive proposition, but color is free on Web pages.
A visual medium
Being able to display color is one of the best things about publishing on the Web. But you must understand how color works on a computer screen to get the most out of your Web-building skills. The Internet is a visual medium; take advantage of it.
The student who completes this chapter should be able to:
- discuss the role of graphics and describe what makes a good web graphic.
- define screen resolution and discuss how various types of color displays affect how graphics show up on a web page.
- define various graphic formats, including GIF, JPG and PNG, and discuss the virtues of each format for displaying web graphics.
- explain the relationship between large graphics and bandwidth.
- define web-safe colors.
- discuss color as it affects identity and mood.